Thursday, October 29, 2009

apple butter.

last week, my mom in law gave me a bunch of apples. i had so many, i knew i needed to do something special with them. so, sss (sarah sharp smith) gave me the idea to make apple butter. mmmm. but, that sounded hard. until, traci sent me a recipe for it and i thought i would try it out. and yesterday, i did just that. and let me tell ya, i'm glad i did. it is one of the most delicious things ever. i made some homemade bread too in my new bread maker and i don't think there's a better combo. and it was so simple. go here for the recipe. i only had 13 apples, so i didn't put as much sugar and spices in. i sorta eyed it and it still came out ok.

this is what my apples looked like before cooking...



i chopped my finger while peeling the apples. it hurt. matt bandaged me up.



and here is the finished product ready to be delivered to two lucky friends.


sorry if you weren't one of those two friends. i had to keep some for myself. but, i would highly recommend trying your own. the hardest part was peeling, coring, and slicing the apples. but, after that, you just put it in the crock pot for 9 or so hours. easy peasy. my next attempt may or may not be pumpkin butter!

coming soon...another inspiration board.

4 comments:

sarah said...

yummy. what you needed was a pampered chef apple peeler/corer/slicer ... it makes that task a breeze!
you should definitely try the pumpkin butter, it's delicious.
~sarah h.

Reenie said...

What bread maker do you have...I have been looking at one?

Sarah Smith said...

this makes my heart happy. the apple butter is delicious. i think steph and i are going to try and make some soon :) if i can get her off her applesauce idea hahha ;)
i'm sorry you cut your finger.

meg said...

sarah-i tried that, but it wasn't working for me. oh well.

reenie-black & decker. theresa gave it to me.